Consider the following:
- Fencing off dangerous water sources such as ponds, manure tanks/lagoons, and creek;
- Make sure that hazardous materials are locked and inaccessible;
- Don’t let your child, or any other person, ride on farm machinery that isn’t designed for passengers;
- Teach children about both the positive and dangerous aspects of livestock and farm animals;
- Equip all barns, farm shops, chemical storage areas, livestock pens, etc. with latches that can be locked or secured so that young children cannot enter; and
- Always turn equipment off, lower hydraulics and remove the key before leaving equipment unattended.