When to Call the Police Non-emergency Phone Number

If police are not urgently required, but a report still needs to be filed then the non-emergency number should be used. If it is not an emergency, DO NOT CALL 911.

If you reside in an OPP jurisdiction, call 1-888-310-1122 to connect with the Communication Centre 24/7. 


Examples of Non-emergency but Reportable Situations:

  • An attempt was made by someone to enter your property/buildings and there is evidence of the crime that could be collected;
  • You have identified a suspicious person through an email, phone call or farm visit;
  • Animal rights activists have indirectly threatened you/your livelihood (email, phone call or mailed letter); and
  • Animal rights activists have made it clear on social media they are targeting your business with plans for “direct action”.