If there is the risk of fire or explosion, contact your fire department or dial 911.
If 911 is called, tell the dispatcher the nature of the leak and what is the immediate response that is needed;
Steps to Managing the Event:
- Ensure to get to fresh air immediately if you start coughing or experience throat irritation;
- If you suspect a natural gas or propane leak, leave the area immediately and go to a safe location and call your gas supplier;
- Do not try to locate the source of the leak or shut off gas valves within the building;
- Do not do anything that could cause a spark and ignite the gas such as;
- Use electrical devices, such as light switches, telephones, or garage door openers;
- Use an open flame, matches or lighters;
- Start vehicles parked in the area; and
Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until the gas company or fire department deems it safe.