Getting Your Barn Ready for a Fire
Broiler and turkey manure can get hot when in storage and with the right conditions can spontaneously combust. Move smouldering manure outside, away from buildings and spread out and/or soak.
Getting Your Equipment Ready
Be sure to maintain farm machinery and check routinely for:
- Build-up of crop residue around the engine, exhaust system, belts and chains;
- Damaged exhaust system components;
- Worn or badly frayed drive belts;
- Odor of burning electrical wiring; and
- Signs of leaking fluids, oil and fuel.
Do not block laneways to your barn with tractors and other vehicles or equipment. First responders need a clear accessall around farm buildings in most instances.