Extreme Heat can lower production and cause heat related illnesses to occur
Getting your Birds Ready
Reduce stocking density in summer months if your system has challenges maintaining temperatures during extreme heat.
- Poultry require more water during extreme heat;
- Ensure your system is capable of providing additional amount;
- Install larger storage tank, drill a new well, etc;
- Ensure adequate water supply before installing sprinklers, mister or evaporative cooling systems in the barns. Remember these systems will be operating at the same time as when the birds are drinking more water; and
- Heat stress increases urinary and fecal excretion of minerals and trace elements.