Poultry producers are responsible for the safety and security of both their employees and their animals. While most farmers may feel that they would instinctively know what to do in a critical situation, taking the time to prepare a written emergency response plan beforehand is valuable for several reasons, it allows for:
- Plan details to be collected and contemplated under non-stressful conditions;
- Storing information electronically with several backup options, such as off site or in the cloud;
- Posting hard copy of plans for ease of access;
- Helps inform others on how best to assist during an emergency, including family, staff and first responders; and
- Sets out procedures for dealing with specific situations so that time and resources are used most effectively at the time of the emergency.