In Ontario, disposal and management options and regulations for dealing with livestock and poultry mortalities are outlined on the OMFRA website. They include but are not limited to:
- Deadstock collection service;
- Disposal vessel;
- Delivery to a licensed disposal facility under the Food Safety & Quality Act (FSQA), e.g. rendering plant;
- Delivery to a waste disposal site (e.g. landfill), if approved under the Environmental Protection Act (most municipal waste disposal sites are not able to accept deadstock);
- Delivery to an anaerobic digester approved under the Nutrient Management Act or Environmental Protection Act; and
- Delivery to a veterinarian for post-mortem and subsequent disposal (infrequent mortalities).